Skip to main content

Week 2


Day 7


Today I worked on the wiring and the cable management inside the case. This meant I had to make
signal and power wires for all the drives, and eventually wire up the PSU’s to power. I also took the time
to install all of my fans, and the signal generator meaning all that is left is to work on the computer and
the wiring. At the end of the day I started to do work on the internal power cables, They are almost done
I think that I will finish them up tomorrow and then go and start to work on the base.

Day 8


Today I did start work on the base of the CNC, I went down to the metal shop to start setting things up,
and to move my materials over. This took a lot of time as I had to do a lot of setup work on the horizontal
mill to be able to accommodate parts of the size that machining. I had to indicate and line up to two vises
gapped by the entire 30 inch table. I also put the cutter I am going to be using on the machine, as well
as setup the spray coolant system that I designed last year to cool the cutting operation. Afterwards I
went back and continued to clean up the wiring as well as start to wire my spindle as well as start the process of getting everything booted

Day 9

Today I primarily focused on the frame, I spent a bunch of time down in metal shop working on getting
the horizontal mill ready for action and then spent time cleaning up my steel. In the afternoon I
worked on the software of the CNC. I then took some time to start to cut pieces to length. The next
step would be to start machining the surfaces I'm going to weld.

Day 10


Today I worked on doing more wiring. I primarily focused on the VFD, and the signal board I spent
most of the day going through documentation to ensure that I have everything hooked up correctly,
and I was making sure that I had everything I needed to get the electronics running. This included me
having to buy a better spindle cable because the one I was planning on using was not rated for the
electrical interference.

Day 11


Today I worked worked on finishing up the wiring of the control box, and took the time to order the rest
of the power electronics I need, such as my PSU for my signal generator. The system should be ready
to boot next week when we can start wiring the motors in the frame. This week was productive,
although I am confused as to where my surface plate is, It was supposed to be shipped already, but I
have not seen it yet. I will have to call the company on Monday.

Week 2
This week was productive, although I am confused as to where my surface plate is, It was supposed to
be shipped already, but I have not seen it yet. I will have to call the company on Monday. I think that
the wiring is going super well and the frame is starting to come together. I will be spending a
considerable time in the metal shop over the rest of the project though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday - Saturday

Today I worked on in metal shop getting everything ready to weld. This is a critical and time consuming process because I need to ensure that the frame is square and straight. This involves a lot of machine work on top of welding. I am getting it done though the X axis frame is coming along well, and I think that I should be ready to weld by around Saturday. Today I worked on finishing up the limit switch wires in the morning and started getting the computer system set up. I spent the afternoon machining my steel to length in the metal shop. I should be able to weld the top rails by tomorrow, and then I can machine them and weld them up to my other bars. Also the surface plate should be here tomorrow. The surface plate came today, and I welded the top rails, hopefully will be able to clean up the welds, and then start drilling the parts. It is gonna take some machining to make sure everything is square and flat. This is critical as to make sure that the rails are
CNC Milling Machine Project Day 1 Today I worked on setting up my space in the english office. This induced organizing and assessing the parts that I have already received, as well as setting up the control pc, and wiring up my 3d printer and smaller CNC that I am using to learn g code programing. After that I worked out an issue with the shipping company, and did some more design work on the CNC. After that I went to the tech center to get an old PC case to house my motor controllers and other electronics inside. After I got the case I spent the rest of the day drilling out and rivets to take out the hard drive cases to make space for all of my electronics. The PC will house all of my stepper drivers, as well as my PSU’s and stepper motor breakout. The PC case also allows me good fan mounting to be able to cool my comments adquealty. Tomorrow I will go and get a sheet of plywood to mount in the back of my pc case to mount my electronics to.                                      
CNC Milling Machine Project Day 2 Today I worked on making the case for my electronics. I spent the morning at the woodshop installing a wood back panel in the PC case. After that I went back to shirley hall and reinforced the back panel and screwed it to the case. After that I spent time designing mounts for all my electronics inside the case. I also took the time to do some more design work on the CNC, where I started to lay out my motor mounts, and my electronics mount. I spent the rest of the afternoon researching what the wiring work the I will need to do, and also how to wire the PSU’s to mains power.